With over 2.9 billion monthly active users, Facebook remains a vital platform for brands looking to connect with audiences. But the social media landscape is constantly evolving.
This article explores the top 10 Facebook trends predicted to shape marketing and user engagement in 2024.
Since its launch in 2004, Facebook has become one of the most influential online platforms. But with rapid innovation in the social space, Facebook must continually adapt to keep users engaged.
What Are Facebook Trends?
Facebook trends refer to new formats of content, shifts in the algorithm, popular features, and changes in user behavior patterns that emerge on the platform.
Why Are Facebook Trends Important?
Monitoring trends allows marketers to:
- Align strategies with how people use Facebook today
- Capitalize on new capabilities as they develop
- Create content that resonates with modern audiences
- Avoid falling behind competitively
Top 10 Facebook Trends for 2024
Based on Facebook’s latest developments, here are 10 key Facebook trends predicted for 2024:
1: Video Content
Video consumption on Facebook continues to rise rapidly.
The Continued Rise of Video
- 500 million people watch Facebook videos daily
- Video posts see 2x the average engagement of non-video posts
- New formats like Reels and Live Rooms cater to video demand
New and Innovative Video Formats
- Reels – Short vertical video content similar to TikTok
- Live Rooms – Multi-person live streaming capabilities
- Watch Together – Co-viewing experiences for Messenger and Groups
How to Create Engaging Video Content
Best practices for video marketing include:
- Short videos – 15-60 seconds get the best engagement.
- Multi-clip videos – Utilize camera roll and record clips specifically for Reels.
- Engaging hooks – Open strong with text, music, and questions to capture attention immediately.
- Unique perspectives – Show behind-the-scenes, employee spotlights, office tours, etc.
- Niche trends and hashtags – Align with viral trends but give them a unique spin.
Video across all formats will be a key opportunity for brands on Facebook moving forward.
2: Live Streaming
Live video allows brands to connect with audiences in real-time.
The Growing Popularity of Live Streaming
- Live broadcasts on Facebook doubled in 2020
- Roughly 55% of live videos are viewed for 3+ minutes, much higher than average video
- Features like Live Rooms, Live With, and interactive tools improve the experience
New and Interactive Live Streaming Features
- Live Rooms – Go live with up to 4 additional hosts to increase interactivity
- Live With – Collaborate with other creators and cross-promote through live broadcasts
- Features like live chat, question prompts, polls, and more
How to Use Live Streaming
Effective brand live-streaming strategies include:
- Product launches or releases – Build excitement and unveil new offerings
- Behind-the-scenes – Give inside looks at offices, events or processes
- Q&As or AMAs – Engage your audience in real-time conversations
- Learning spotlights – Host educational workshops or tutorials
- Collaborations – Team up with partners for joint live streams
Live video allows brands to have authentic and engaging conversations with their community.
3: Groups and Communities
Private Facebook Groups continue gaining popularity both for brands and consumers.
The Importance of Groups and Communities
- There are over 100 million Facebook Groups – more than 10x them existed 4 years ago
- 1.8 billion people use Groups every month
- Groups allow brands to cultivate meaningful conversations and relationships beyond the feed.
How to Create and Manage Successful Groups
Best practices for business Groups include:
- Have clear rules, moderation plans, and active admins/moderators
- Enable member contributions through user-generated content
- Foster discussions by sharing questions, polls, surveys, and more
- Highlight top contributors and offer exclusive perks
- Organize Groups into topics/series based on interests
Tips for Using Groups to Grow Your Business
Groups present opportunities for brands to:
- Gain valuable insights directly from highly engaged users
- Build brand loyalty and advocacy
- Educate customers on products and industry topics
- Promote events, offers, and new product releases
- Drive website traffic and sales through exclusive Group perks
Private Facebook Groups allow direct conversations and relationships between brands and their biggest fans.
4: Messenger and WhatsApp
Messaging platforms are becoming increasingly important for businesses.
The Growing Importance of Messenger and WhatsApp
- 56% of people now prefer messaging apps over email for brand communication
- Messenger has over 1 billion monthly active users
- New features tailor messaging platforms for business uses
New Features and Integrations
- Messenger API – Integrate Messenger with marketing and support workflows
- Messenger for Instagram – Manage all messaging from one platform
- Messenger ads – Targeted ads in Messenger
- WhatsApp Cloud API – New integration options for WhatsApp
How to Use Messenger and WhatsApp for Business
Key opportunities include:
- Customer service – Directly answer questions and handle issues
- Chatbots – Automate responses and processes with AI
- Support sales – Share product details and close deals
- Send notifications – Appointment reminders, shipping updates, etc.
- Segmented promotions – Send special offers to opted-in subscribers
Messaging provides a direct communication channel between brands and consumers.
5: Shopping and Commerce
Facebook is optimizing shopping experiences as social commerce booms.
The Rise of Social Commerce
- U.S. social commerce sales to reach $196 billion by 2025
- Facebook Shops are now used by over 1.2M monthly active businesses
- New shoppable ad formats and live shopping features cater to the demand
New Ways to Shop on Facebook
- Shops – Digital storefronts on Facebook and Instagram
- Shopping in Reels, Live, and Stories – Tag products that users can purchase
- Shop Tab – Personalized shopping destination
- Shoppable Posts – Buy from feed ads and organic posts
How to Use Facebook For Commerce
Brands should leverage built-in commerce capabilities like:
- Set up a Facebook Shop profile and tag products across posts
- Run shoppable video ads and shoppable live shopping events
- Tag products in Reels, Stories, and live broadcasts
- Promote seasonal sales, limited-time offers, and new launches
Facebook simplifies the path to purchase, turning platform users into paying customers.
Facebook ads continue evolving with new formats and targeting capabilities.
The Latest Trends in Facebook Advertising
- Ad spending on Meta platforms surpassed $115 billion in 2022
- Click-to-messaging ads rose 90% YoY as messaging explodes
- New ad formats like carousels, instant forms, and AR provide fresh creative opportunities
New Ad Formats and Targeting Options
- Click-to-WhatsApp ads – Users can message directly from ads
- AR ads – Interactive AR experiences
- Ads in VR – New VR headset ad inventory
- Detailed targeting – Target interests, behaviors, and connections
How to Create Effective Facebook Ads
Best practices include:
- Strong visuals and copy – Align creatively with campaign objectives
- Measurable objectives – Install conversion pixels to track performance
- Audience targeting – Use detailed demographic, interest, and behavioral targeting
- Multi-format approach – Test different ad types and placements
- Retargeting – Remarket people who engaged with you previously
Constant testing and optimization allow brands to make the most of Facebook’s highly targeted advertising capabilities.
7: Creator Economy
Facebook is providing more ways for creators to build audiences and monetize.
The Growing Creator Economy on Facebook
- 50 million Facebook accounts identify as creators
- Facebook paid out over $3 billion to creators in 2022
- New programs and monetization tools cater to creator needs
How to Become a Successful Creator on Facebook
Tactics to build your creator biz include:
- Consistent content creation catered to your niche
- Engagement techniques – Ask questions, run contests, etc.
- Facebook Groups – Cultivate highly engaged communities
- Multi-platform strategy – Share content across FB and IG natively
- Paid partnership opportunities – Work with relevant brands
How to Monetize on Facebook
Monetization options include:
- In-stream ads – Earn a cut of ad revenue from video content
- Subscriptions – Earn monthly recurring revenue from fans
- Badges – Let fans purchase badges to highlight support
- Paid online events – Host exclusive paid VR or IRL creator events
- Branded content and merchandise – Earn from sponsorships and merch
Facebook provides expansive opportunities for creators to earn income and connect with highly engaged communities.
8: Data Privacy and Security
Facebook is investing heavily in new privacy-first personalization approaches.
Facebook’s Commitment to Data Privacy
- Developing privacy-enhancing technologies (PETs) for secure data usage
- Enabling end-to-end encryption across messaging services
- Expanding transparency around data collection
- Giving users more control over information shared
New Features and Tools to Protect Privacy
- Manage Activity page – Delete data associated with your account
- Off-Facebook activity tool – Clear your off-Facebook activity data
- Privacy Checkup – Adjust your privacy settings
- Two-factor authentication – Add an extra layer of security
Tips for Staying Safe on Facebook
Best practices include:
- Use strong and unique passwords
- Enable two-factor authentication
- Frequently update privacy settings
- Limit sharing of personal information
- Use tools to monitor your digital footprint
- Watch out for phishing attempts and scams
Despite past scrutiny, Facebook is prioritizing user privacy and control.
9: Diversity and Inclusion
Facebook is focused on cultivating a more inclusive social experience.
Facebook’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Meta has committed $100M to diversity equity partners
- Improving hate speech detection with AI improvements
- Updating policies against bullying and sexual harassment
- Providing inclusion education and encouraging open dialogues
New Features and Programs Promoting Diversity
- Pronoun-sharing tools – Proactively invite sharing of gender pronouns
- Black-owned business features – Make it easier to find and support Black-owned business pages
- Social justice-focused ad credits – Provided ad credits to social justice causes
Tips for Creating an Inclusive Facebook Community
- Set community standards and moderation protocols
- Highlight diverse voices and perspectives
- Make meaningful connections across differences
- Listen to and consult your community
- Feature inclusive stories and causes
- Promote constructive dialogues
Facebook provides tools and programs to enable more positive communities.
10: The Future of Facebook
Meta will continue evolving Facebook‘s capabilities through emerging tech.
Facebook’s Vision for the Future
Mark Zuckerberg has outlined the metaverse as the next frontier, blurring digital and physical worlds.
New Technologies and Initiatives
- Metaverse – VR and AR experiences spanning devices
- AI research – Advancing AI capabilities
- Innovation – Investing $10 billion+ in Reality Labs R&D
How Businesses Can Prepare For the Future
To get future-ready, brands should:
- Explore opportunities in AR, VR, and emerging platforms
- Ride new waves early – test innovative technologies and capabilities
- Develop agile strategies adaptive to rapid change
- Focus on creative storytelling and immersive experiences
- Strengthen community connections that transcend devices
- Invest in forward-thinking talent
The next generation of social experiences is unfolding – brands able to evolve will thrive.
The key Facebook trends for 2024 highlight areas of opportunity:
- Video innovation
- Live streaming
- Private groups
- Messaging integration
- Social commerce
- Ad targeting
- Creator monetization
- Privacy focus
- Diversity and inclusion
- Emerging tech like AR/VR
These trends provide a roadmap for marketers looking to engage modern audiences and maximize results on one of the world’s most influential platforms.
Facebook’s continued evolution offers new possibilities for marketers to creatively engage communities. By aligning social strategies with emerging trends in video, e-commerce, messaging, creators, privacy, AR/VR, and more, brands can connect authentically.
Savvy marketers will keep a pulse on new Facebook developments and platform innovations to drive audience engagement now and in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can I create a successful Facebook Page?
A: Optimize branding, imagery, and content for the platform. Engage frequently with high-quality photos, videos, and stories. Promote on other channels. Run contests and events. Use detailed targeting for ads. Analyze and improve based on page insights.
Q: How can I get more Likes and Followers?
A: Post engaging content consistently. Use relevant hashtags. Interact with others’ content. Run contests and giveaways. Leverage Facebook Groups related to your niche. Advertise to lookalike audiences. Partner with aligned influencers.
Q: How can I drive website traffic from Facebook?
A: Share links strategically in highly sharable content. Promote website destinations like blogs, resource pages, or products. Retarget engaged visitors. Participate in high-value groups aligned with your offerings. Collaborate with influencers to drive referral traffic.
Q: How can I measure Facebook’s marketing success?
A: Track impressions, reach, engagement rate, link clicks, lead generation forms, catalog sales, website traffic, and return on ad spend. Leverage UTMs, Facebook Pixel, and Conversion API to quantify the impact.
Q: How can I stay updated on Facebook trends?
A: Follow Facebook’s announcements, Creator channels, and executives/thought leaders. Check industry trend reports. Attend marketing conferences. Network with peers. Analyze competitor activity. Stay on the pulse of platform innovations globally.
Keeping pace with Facebook’s evolution is key for brands seeking to engage with its billions of users in new ways.