Home decor trends come and go, but some stand the test of time. As we enter 2023, several emerging home decor styles are poised to become very popular this year.
Incorporating the latest trends into your home decor is an easy and affordable way to give your space a fresh, modern look without undertaking a full remodel. Staying current with trends can also increase your home’s resale value down the line.
Read on to learn about the 7 biggest home decor trends that will be everywhere in 2023. Discover what defines each style and get tips to help you implement these looks in your own home.
Home decor trends reflect both aesthetic preferences and cultural shifts happening in the world. As styles and mindsets change, so does the way we decorate our living spaces.
Monitoring trends allows you to keep your home’s style feeling fresh and relevant. It also helps create an ambiance tailored to your current lifestyle and needs.
But with so many trendy looks circulating, how do you know which ones will have real staying power in 2023?
In this article, we’ll cover the 7 home decor styles forecasted by experts to make major waves this year. From bold maximalism to soothing biophilic design, these trends offer something for every taste.
Understanding these popular new aesthetics will make it easy for you to incorporate them into your home. Even using small touches of trendy decor can give your rooms a stylish updated look.
Implementing certain trends also allows you to express your personality and values through design. For instance, sustainable decor choices show your eco-conscious side. While cozy vintage finds highlight your nostalgic side.
Below you’ll discover what defines each of the 7 biggest home decor trends for 2023. You’ll also find tips to try them yourself using furniture, fabric, color, and more.
Let’s dive in to explore the home decor trends that will help you create a space that feels fresh and inspiring all year long.
Home Decor Trend 1: Maximalism
After years dominated by minimalism and Scandinavian style, maximalism is poised to make a comeback in 2023. This bold, eclectic look is the polar opposite of the less-is-more minimalist aesthetic.
What is Maximalism?
Maximalism embraces saturated colors, eye-catching patterns, and ornamental accents. Rooms decorated in this style have an exuberant, curated feel that energizes spaces.
The maximalist look combines vintage, modern, and contemporary pieces for lots of visual interest. You’ll see a vibrant mix of textures, colors, and artistic flair.
Lush layers of rugs, pillows, and drapes make the look extra cozy. While gallery walls filled with ornamental objects add personalized flair. Maximalism celebrates creative freedom of expression through home decor.
Key Elements of Maximalist Design
Several defining traits characterize a maximalist decor style:
- Rich, saturated colors: Deep hues like emerald, sapphire, and eggplant abound. Neutrals take a backseat.
- Bold patterns: Chevrons, florals, animal prints, and geometrics mingle joyfully together.
- An eclectic mix of eras: Mid-century modern, art deco, and baroque pieces harmoniously co-exist.
- Layers of textures: Plush velvet, nubby wool, and sleek lucite all add depth.
- Global influence: Turkish kilims, Indian block prints, and Moroccan lamps add an exotic flair.
- Artistic flair: Sculptural furniture, avant-garde light fixtures, and gallery walls display unique finds.
Incorporating Maximalism into Your Home Decor
Here are some tips for bringing the lively maximalist style into your home:
- Hang a gallery wall showcasing art, photos, mirrors, wallpaper, or textiles. Create an abstract collage full of color and texture.
- Layer plush area rugs over carpets and floors to add cozy depth and pattern.
- Add throw pillows and poufs in bold prints and rich velvets to living spaces.
- Display collectibles like art glass, pottery, or seashells on open shelving or in curio cabinets.
- Use an ornate area rug to define a living room or bedroom seating area. Choose a style like Persian or Indian for exotic appeal.
- Paint walls in deeply saturated hues like emerald green, sapphire blue, or eggplant purple. Trim windows in a contrasting vibrant shade.
- Mix modern acrylic chairs with vintage wood furnishings for an eclectic look.
- Choose patterned fabric like florals, geometrics, or animal prints for drapes and upholstery.
- Incorporate global finds like Turkish kilim pillows, Moroccan lamps, or Indian block print fabrics.
The maximalist home decor trend allows you to fully express your bold, creative spirit through design. Feel free to mix colors, textures, eras, and collections with exuberant abandon!
Home Decor Trend 2: Japandi
For a calming, minimalist look, the Japandi trend will be big in 2023. This hybrid style brings together elements of Japanese and Scandinavian aesthetics for a tranquil vibe.
What is Japandi?
As the name implies, Japandi combines the modest simplicity of Japanese home decor with the muted palette of Scandinavian style.
Clean lines, neutral colors, natural materials, and sparse ornamentation create peaceful, zen-like spaces. Less is more in this pared-down approach to design.
Japandi celebrates simplicity, functionality, and minimal aesthetic clutter. It helps create soothing retreats away from the stresses of daily life.
Key Elements of Japandi Design
Some hallmarks of Japandi style include:
- A neutral color palette dominated by whites, beiges, black, and natural wood tones
- Natural fiber fabrics and textures like cotton, linen, rattan, and wood
- Clean, simple lines and minimal ornamentation
- A gentle mix of Japanese and Scandinavian-inspired designs
- Natural elements like plants, light wood, stone, and sunlight
- Multi-purpose furnishings for flexibility
- A few artistic accents like abstract art, bonsai trees, or Ikebana floral arrangements
Incorporating Japandi into Your Home Decor
Follow these tips to bring Japandi’s zen sensibilities into your home:
- Paint walls with white or neutral hues like beige, gray, tan, or pale blue. Use light wood trim for contrast.
- Select slip-covered sofas and chairs in natural linen, cotton, or microfiber for a subdued look.
- Use wood blinds and neutral sheer curtains to subtly diffuse incoming sunlight.
- Choose wood furnishings with gentle curves but minimal ornamentation.
- Add a warm straw, rattan, or ceramic accents in place of decorative objects.
- Incorporate driftwood, stones, greenery, and flowers as organic focal points.
- Display natural fiber baskets to hide clutter. Use as table centerpieces.
- Add peaceful living elements like bamboo fountains or zen sand gardens.
- Create cozy spaces for meditation, reading, or relaxing to unwind.
Japandi’s minimalist tranquility helps create personal retreats. Its clean, modern lines still feel warm and inviting.
Home Decor Trend 3: Biophilic Design
Another 2023 trend that nurtures well-being is biophilic design. This nature-inspired style aims to organically integrate the outdoors into living spaces.
What is Biophilic Design?
The term “biophilic” comes from the Greek for “love of life.” Biophilic design connects people with natural elements to foster health and tranquility indoors.
It incorporates plant life, sunlight, water features, natural materials, and references to nature. The goal is to mimic the calming sensory experience of being outdoors.
Studies show that surrounding yourself with organic shapes, textures, and materials reduces stress. It promotes productivity and healing too.
The Benefits of Biophilic Design
There are many health benefits linked to biophilic design elements including:
- Decreased stress, heart rate, and blood pressure
- Improved mood, memory retention, and energy
- Faster healing in hospitals or assisted living facilities
- Increased workplace productivity and focus
- The overall sense of tranquility and wellbeing
Incorporating Biophilic Design into Your Home Decor
You can easily infuse biophilic design into your home with these tips:
- Incorporate large leafy plants and greenery to clean and freshen indoor air.
- Position chairs and sofas near windows to connect with outside light and views.
- Choose natural materials like jute, linen, wool, and organic cotton for rugs, pillows, and drapes.
- Add wooden or stone decorative accents that reflect nature’s beauty.
- Use abstract art, photography, and prints depicting nature throughout your home.
- Add a living wall, potted plants, or conservatory to immerse yourself in greenery.
- Install a small indoor water feature like a mini zen fountain or wall-mounted waterfall. The tranquil sounds of water de-stress.
- Paint walls in nature-inspired hues like leafy greens, sky blues, or earthy browns.
The biophilic design trend creates a needed sense of calm in our hectic modern lives.
Home Decor Trend 4: Sustainable and Ethical Design
Consumers increasingly want home decor that reflects their values. So the trends for 2023 emphasize sustainable, eco-conscious, and ethical design.
What is Sustainable and Ethical Design?
This trend focuses on decor made from recycled or upcycled materials to reduce waste. Items are also ethically produced by artisans paid fair living wages.
The sustainable decor also avoids toxic chemicals and uses renewable, non-toxic materials. Natural or low-VOC paints and stains ensure healthy indoor air quality.
Overall, this trend champions home decor that minimizes environmental impact and improves lives. Its earth-friendly approach appeals to the modern eco-conscious consumer.
Why is Sustainable and Ethical Design Important?
This trend is driven by consumers wanting decor that aligns with their ethics. Key factors motivating its growth include:
- Increased awareness of decor items made under exploitative labor conditions.
- Reduction of carbon emissions by choosing eco-friendly and upcycled furniture.
- Avoiding indoor air pollution by using low-VOC paints, stains, and finishes.
- Prolonging the lifespan of furnishings by investing in better-crafted items.
- Making socially responsible purchases from ethical manufacturers.
Incorporating Sustainable and Ethical Design into Your Home
There are many ways you can implement this important trend, including:
- Shop for FSC-certified wood furniture from eco-conscious makers.
- Seek out fair trade, handmade artisan goods that support cultural heritage crafts.
- Invest in upcycled vintage furniture to reduce waste and emissions from new production.
- Refinish and reupholster existing furniture to refresh looks avoiding waste.
- Use indoor plants like snake plants or aloe vera to purify indoor air. They filter toxins.
- Select low-VOC or no-VOC paints, stains, and finishes for walls and floors. Many eco-friendly options exist.
- Choose organic cotton, hemp, bamboo, or wool textiles for healthier homes.
- Research brands thoroughly to ensure ethical policies on labor, materials sourcing, emissions, and waste.
By selecting sustainable decor, your purchases make a difference for people and the planet.
Home Decor Trend #5: Vintage and Antiquing
In 2023, expect to see more unique vintage and antique finds making their way into home decor. These charming historical pieces offer character and craftsmanship.
The Popularity of Vintage and Antique Home Decor
After years dominated by mass-produced furniture, people crave the soul of older wares. The imperfections and markings on vintage items display their heritage and stories.
Antique furnishings often feature ornate details and patinas that newer reproductions lack. Their solid wood construction makes them more durable too.
And vintage decor tends to have timeless classic looks above passing trends. Searches for “vintage home decor” soared 87% over the past year as interest grows.
How to Find Unique and Affordable Vintage and Antique Pieces
While antique stores offer curated options, estate sales, auctions, and flea markets can yield great deals. Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist also connect with local sellers.
Look for quality items made from solid wood, cast iron, or other enduring materials. Check drawers and back for signs of damage.
Mid-century modern, industrial, and Danish modern styles are widely popular. But keep an open mind and watch for potential gems.
With a little hunting, you can find charming vintage and antique decor on a budget. Add them alongside modern pieces for eclectic charm.
How to Incorporate Vintage and Antique Pieces into Your Home Decor
There are endless creative ways to weave antique flair into your rooms. Here are some key tips:
- Use an antique cabinet or dresser for storage with added character. Refinish into a trendy color if needed.
- Display collected vintage plates or silver on an exposed shelf rather than keeping them behind closed cabinet doors.
- Work an antique chair or two into your existing dining set for a patina and mix of styles.
- Hang an ornate vintage mirror as a focal point above a console or fireplace instead of a basic new mirror.
- Place antique table lamps with unique bases on bedside tables or shelves for ambient light and interest.
- Use antique trunks as quirky coffee tables or side tables with storage space inside.
- Add charm to a bookshelf with vintage bookends, frames, and objects.
Let your creativity run wild! Vintage and antique finds add an ageless personality that enhances any space.
Home Decor Trend 6: Bold Colors and Patterns
For those wanting an energizing, vibrant 2023 look, the return of bold colors and patterns is right on trend. These eye-catching choices make dynamic style statements.
The Return of Bold Colors and Patterns in Home Decor
After years of muted, neutral decor, people are ready to infuse excitement back into their homes. Vivid colors and prints create an upbeat ambiance perfect for entertaining and family life.
Global market research confirms that consumers are ready to embrace bright energetic hues and adventurous patterns again. Expect to see these vivid statements return in full force.
How to Use Bold Colors and Patterns Without Overwhelming
The key is to apply colorful and high-impact patterns in intentional, balanced ways. Some tips:
- Use vivid colors in moderation on walls. Accent with bolder hues on trims, doors, and furnishings.
- Repeat colors from artwork or fabrics into accessories like pillows, throws, and vases for a pulled-together look.
- Incorporate playful patterns and textures on decorative accents like window valances, rugs, and ottomans instead of overpowering with on larger surfaces.
- Display colorful dishware to inject character into open shelving.
- Energize with bursts of trendy colors and patterns in smaller doses like throw blankets or artwork. Anchor them with solid foundational furnishing colors.
Popular Bold Colors and Patterns for 2023
Some top trending shades expected include:
- Vibrant emerald greens and deep blues channel tropical sights
- Energetic neon yellow, pink, orange, and chartreuse
- Feel-good yet sophisticated mauves and lilacs
- Nostalgic ’70s earth tones and retro reds
Unique global-inspired prints will also be on trend, like:
- Indian block prints
- Moroccan tiles
- Turkish kilims
- Natural woodgrain patterns
- Abstract geometrics
- Retro paisleys and florals
Don’t be afraid to take color and pattern inspiration from exotic locales. Infuse your home with their energy and culture for an inviting look.
Home Decor Trend 7: Multifunctional Furniture and Spaces
For modern real estate, transforming pieces do double or triple duty. This multifunctional furniture helps maximize smaller spaces and serves needs flexibly.
The Growing Trend of Multifunctional Furniture and Spaces
With more people living in urban apartments and condos, transformable furnishings are problem solvers. Items like Murphy beds, nesting tables, ottomans with storage, and split-level sofa beds maximize square footage.
Multifunctional furniture can serve different needs at different times of day. A bench entryway seat conveniently stashes shoes. Then it becomes a coffee table.
Convertible pieces allow compact homes to comfortably accommodate guests or hobbies. They also offer budget-friendly options to outfit spaces with multiple functions.
Searches for “small space furniture” and “multi-functional furniture” have doubled as tiny living gains popularity. Designers are coming up with ever more clever transformable ideas.
Why Multifunctional Furniture and Spaces are So Popular
The flexibility of convertible furnishings provides many lifestyle benefits:
- Maximize living areas in small footprints
- Accommodate guests or hobbies without clutter
- Reduce the need for storage space
- Stage spaces for different uses like sleeping, working, or exercising
- Provide budget-friendly options over pricier individual pieces
- Allow easy changes as needs evolve
- Create a minimalist style easily
How to Incorporate Multifunctional Furniture and Spaces into Your Home
Some creative ways to implement this hot trend include:
- Install a Murphy bed that folds vertically into the wall freeing up floor space when stowed.
- Choose a sectional with a chaise leg extension that can double as extra sleeping space.
- Opt for nesting coffee tables that slide under each other and tuck against sofas when not in use.
- Use a storage ottoman that serves double duty as a footrest, then flip open to stash blankets.
- Select a kitchen island on wheels that doubles as a dining table with